Group Discussion: Assumptions
by John Lee
is the summary of the assumptions
and norms that will help our
small group discussion in a
variety of Church meetings.
This may be changed in different
situations. So it is a suggestion only, not
a final answer. I hope it will
work as a starting point
of our sharing our thoughts
and experiences; and will develop
into a complete one that we
can adjust in our conceret situations.
1. We all love the church.
2. We all seek truth and justice.
3. We are all learners.
4. We may have different ways of thinking, working
5. Other persons also have gifts as I do although
they may be different.
6. Creative tension by presenting different
perspective helps the group to be healthier.
Any discussion without different perspective or
creative tension has more chance to be one sided.
8. Confronting oppression/domination will benefit
All forms of oppression are interconnected and
it is not useful to argue about a hierarchy of oppression. (intersectionality)
Fixing blame helps no one.
Expect to learn from mistakes.
Accept the fact of conflict.
develp by learning and changing.
1. Elect group facilitator, writer or reporter as
Writer must include everyone’s speaking and
confirm with the speaker by reading the written summary.
3. Reporter should be objective by avoiding
reinterpreting others saying.
4. Non judgmental – Superiority/inferiority dynamic
inherent in all power relations. Doesn’t mean we don’t make ethical judgments.
5. Express opinions by using “I” statements.
6. Set the time of
individual’s speaking, eg., a 90-second speech.
7. Take responsibility to share time for speaking
and for appropriate silences and listening.
8. First time speakers first.
9. Make sure everyone has
a chance to talk.
Before shifting the
topic, facilitator should invite the person who had any chance to speak or who
wants to add more to speak.
11. For speech, raise your
hand to get permission then introduce yourself before speaking.
Try to make a positive
expression all the time although the content is negative.
We will affirm and support respectful
disagreement and presentation of different points of view.
Non-offensive way of
Take care of yourself emotionally, physically.
No question is a stupid question.
Validating everybody’s experience.
21. Be generous to other’s mistakes.